I have been journaling for a few years now, and it has helped me overcome so much in my life. When I say I am not the same Corya as I was in 2015 mentally and spiritually, I absolutely mean it. It all started with a prayer journal.
First things first, your prayer journal does not have to be professional, okay? You’re basically having a conversation with God. It flows naturally, and you will not spell everything correctly. Trust me, my journal looks like a kid in pre-k wrote in it. You do not have to talk/ write to God like the King James Version of the Bible. For example, “ Lord, thou hast been good to me.”
I mean, if this floats your boat, and you speak like this, by all means—- do you boo!
However, for me, I do not use that type of dialect. I am a country- southern woman from Mississippi. I tell God how I truly feel, and I say it as if I were conversing with my mom, friends , fiancé, but I also remain respectful because He is my Lord and Savior.
Now that you have gotten the jitters out the way, let’s get to what you have been afraid of doing— releasing what’s on your heart. For some, this will take time because it is new to you. Chile, for me, I went straight in releasing what was on my mind(as if He did not already know). However, everyone is not like me, and I understand.
You are probably thinking, I do not know what to write about. Do not worry, we’re buddies/homies, so I have you covered.
*Quick tip* Date your entries so when you go back to read, which may take some time, you can see how far you have grown!
Topic numero uno! (Means number one if you do not know basic Spanish. I had to google it just to make sure I phrase it correctly, lol.)
- Self- love
Nah, ( for you that are not from the south, it’s pronounced “now”. Yes, I wrote it for emphasis cause we are about to get real, real quick)
Be honest with yourself because God already knows what is up. Plus, no one is going to read this journal because YOU’RE GOING TO GUARD IT WITH YOUR LIFE when you first start journaling.
Self love seems pretty easy to do, but most people do not love themselves as much as they should. This can filter over into relationships with your boo, your parents and even friends.
I cannot tell you what exactly to write because I do not know specifically the battles you are fighting.
But, here are a few topics listed below:
- Comparison: Comparison stems from various situations such as comparing yourself to your siblings, your friends, people who are on social media such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, or even through observation of random people you see throughout your day that are “perceived” as happy or have the perfect life.
- Rejection: Rejection can stimulate from parents, your significant other, being stagnant at your job, hurt by people from your church, old childhood friends and maybe you are upset that you guys do not talk anymore or have had a fallen out, etc . . .
- Self doubt: Self doubt is a lack of confidence in yourself and your abilities. You probably have not told anyone about the dream you have of starting that business, but you are wavering by saying it is too much work, or right now is not the right time. It could be that you are doubting your looks because of comparison between yourself and others.
If you think of more, write them down and let those feelings flow out. You might even cry, but remember it is going to change for the best! Look at me, I would have never thought about starting a blog because I did not want to be perceived a certain way. However, I had to surrender those emotions to God, and I no longer worry about what others think of me.
You may find yourself writing more than one entry on these topics, and that is perfectly fine. The more you write, the more you move those mountains that are weighing you down.
DON’T GO JUST YET! (I know you are like this post is long enough, lol.)
Homework: HAHA, yeah, you have it. When you are finished writing your first journal entry,
List 6 or more affirmations about yourself.
I will give you two.
- I am fearfully and wonderfully made just the way I am.
- I am so grateful for what I already have even though I know increase is coming!
You can do this! I have faith in you, and Jesus cannot wait to talk with you! See you next week as we go DEEPER into how to let go of depression– the natural way.
Dear Father God,
I thank You for blessing me with life. Thank You for loving me just the way I am, but I thank You for removing everything that is not like You. Cleanse and remove all insecurities, self doubt and the feeling of being unappreciated and not having self worth. Father God, fill me with your love, peace, joy, happiness, and build confidence within me. Place reminders within me that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Lord, forgive me for not loving the person You have created. I release these things to You, and I receive all You have for me. Today is a new day, and I thank you for change. Amen.
Weekly Key Bible Verses:
Psalm 139: 13-14; Psalm 138:8; 2 Timothy 1:7; Philippians 4:13; 1 Peter 5:7; Romans 8:37-39; Romans 10:9
Leave a comment and let me know if you are going to start your prayer journal today, this week?! Don’t forget to hashtag #thejournalchallenge